Director: J.J. Abrams
Writers: J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan
Stars: Harrison Ford, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, and Carrie Fisher
IMDb Logline: Three decades after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, a new threat arises. The First Order attempts to rule the galaxy and only a rag-tag group of heroes can stop them, along with the help of the Resistance.
- Old pros Harrison Ford (Han Solo) and Carrie Fisher (General Leia), and new arrivals Daisy Ridley (Ray), John Boyega (Finn), and Adam Driver (Kylo Ren)
- Han Solo and Kylo Ren character arcs
- Major emotional character plot point handled deftly and in service to both the story and another character arc
- Made you forget, and did not reference the Prequel Films
- Pratical Effects
- Too many characters–underutilized characters could have been introduced in later films
- Too many call-backs to the original trilogy
- Too many coincides (i.e. how Han & Chewie get back the Falcon; BB-8 all of a sudden being there at different scenes)
- Did not emotionally connect with the movie until major character plot point
Review: Star Wars is back and in good hands. The story is linear, has characters you love, and an emotional punch that leaves you reeling. The film moves fast–sometimes too fast–covering a lot of new ground while trying to catch you up on the last thirty-five years of events.
Rating = B+